Sports Message BoardAll the latest news, results, notices and fixtures
SPORTS MESSAGE BOARD
St Joseph’s College has an excellent sporting history, developing sports men and women of the highest caliber. However our priority is to make sport available, accessible and enjoyable for all and we are therefore delighted to have our new state of the art sports hall and outdoor Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) which has enhanced our provision enormously. We have a wide range of extra-curricular activities available- click the link on the left of the screen to download the latest timetable.
* Senior netball started out with tough fixtures against NULS. Great performances were put in by botht the U16’s and the U19’s and it stands us in good stead for the rest of the season.
* An early win in the cross country for Gianni Loska in year 7 and some other outstanding performances put the boys team into first place in two of the three cross country events. Well done. Winning start also for the girls hockey team who overcam Stafford Grammar 2-0.
* The rugby season is off and running with great fixtures versus Lymm, St Edwards, Falibroome Walton and Stafford Grammar to name a few. There has been mixed success in the Natwest Vase however. The seniors losing out in the first round but the U15’s progressing to the second.
* Year 7 rugby team off to a winning start. The year 7 rugby team have been working hard to get themselves organised and ready for a tough fixtures schedule this year and have coped brilliantly so far winning two games from two. Good luck going forward lads.
* Year 8 boys win the county cup!
* Congratulations to the year 7 and 8 boys tennis teams that both won their respective city tournamernts at Florence Tennis Club on Friday. The year 8 side only dropped one game on the way to victory in the whole tournament. Well done.
* SJC year 8 cricket boys beat NULS in a bowl off to get into the county cup final! Due to a heavy storm the semi-final was unfortunately unable to be played but both sides agreed to a tense bowl off in which SJC came out on top. Good luck in the final lads.
* Year 7 boys and girls athletes have managed to emulate the year 8’s by also being crowned ‘City Super 8 Athletic Champions’ Well done!
* The future looks bright for year 7 SJC athlete Aiden Edge. Aidan represented City of Stoke AC on 30 May at the Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, in the Youth Development League and won the Under 13 boys 75m hurdles in a time of 14.7. He beat athletes from clubs such as Birchfield Harriers, Wolverhampton and Bilston and Rugby. He was one of only a handful of City of Stoke winners on the day. This was his second win in a row in the YDL having won the first race in Milton Keynes on 2 May. He was also second in the Staffordshire County Championship held recently at Northwood. He is currently ranked 6th in the West Midlands for the hurdles. Amazing stuff and bring on this years championships!
* Year 8 boys and girls are once again the ‘City Super 8 Athletic Champions’ Well done!
* SJC had a fabulous day at the ‘City Athletics Championships’ at Northwood Stadium on Tuesday 19th of July. On a wet, windy, miserable and hail stricken afternoon all four St Joseph’s sides managed to come out on top as the city champions. Something we have not done as a school for some time. Credit must go to the year 11 athletes whom came back from study leave to compete in the event; an indication of how important and seriously we were taking the championships. There were, as always, some outstanding individual performances but it was a real team ethic that saw all the sides through. Well done to all the students and staff involved. We are very proud of all of you.
* Leicester Tigers Challenge – Butlins Minehead
Trentham RUFC U13s took part in the Leicester Tigers Challenge at Butlins Minehead on the 1st – 4th May. They competed against teams from London, South Wales, Devon and the Midlands. The team contained 8 year 8 pupils from St Joseph’s College :- Joel Bezus, Connor Cooper, Miguel Ladeira, Dan Raftery, James Mullaney, Sullivan Nicely, William Phillips and Louis Willott.
The team performed well against extremely strong opposition winning 2 games, drawing 1 and losing 2. They scored 12 tries and only conceded 5 and were the only team to score a try against the eventual U13 winners from Brentwood RFC who they narrowly lost to10-5.
Connor Cooper, Miguel Ladeira, Dan Raftery and Sullivan Nicely all collected tries along the way, Will Phillips and Louis Willott were strong in the forwards and James Mullaney was the player of the tournament for his defence, all under the leadership of skipper Joel Bezus. All the boys were a credit to the team, played extremely well and behaved impeccably both on and off the pitch.
* Friday 20th – Lenten Fundraising. Beat the teacher penalty shoot out. 50p for 3 shots. Score a goal to enter into the raffle.
* On Wednesday the Year 9 rugby squad took three teams to a Sevens tournament at Abbotsholme School . The three sides were captained by Morgan Lees, Euan Healy and Jordan Huff, each with realistic hopes of winning the tournament and getting one over on their fellow school mates.
Having lost the first game to Euan Healy’s side, Jordan Huff’s side entered the last game needing to beat the previously undefeated side of Morgan Leese in order to take the tournament into a three way tie between the three St Joseph’s sides. All three teams had played some excellent 7 a side, and rugby represented the School wonderfully in their conduct on and off the field with Tim, Danu and Fred Ponce all scoring their first tries for the school in the process.
One further player was to score their first try for the school in the final 60 seconds of the final game. With a minute to go, with all three teams tied for first place, and with Morgan and Jordan’s team also tied on points difference, Chris Hulme picked up a loose ball running 30 metres to score the decisive try, securing first place for Jordan’s team.
Report: Mr Willis
It was a fitting end to a highly competitive and wonderful afternoon of rugby.
* Big day at the county Winter Games Festival today with SJC representing the county in year 7 and 8 boys and girls sports hall athletics and year 10 basketball. On top of this we are providing young leaders from year 11 to support the event. Very proud of the SJC family.
* The year 7 boys and girls travelled to Fenton Manner to compete in the city sports hall athletics competition on Thursday and after a really good meeting both sides were able to come out on top. There was some initial confusion on the boys side of the competition but after clarification they have come out on top. Both sides will go to the next stage of the school games competition and represent the city at the county event.
* The year 7 A and B netball teams played in the City Festival this week. Each team won all of their games to the final, conceding between them only 2 goals and scoring 99! The A team beat the B team 6-1 in the final. Also in the U16 City netball tournament we played 7 games, won them all only conceding 1 goal and scoring 71! We beat, Biddulph A and B, Trentham, St Peter’s, Blythe, Sandon and Thistley Hough. Well done girls.
With just a couple of games to complete, the U14 and U16 teams both stand at the top of the City netball league.
* We are really proud of the senior girls tennis side tonight as they scraped past a very strong Alderley Edge side in a deciding tie breaker. Due to an unfortunate injury to the Alderley Edge number 1 seed the girls found themselves level in the match. The deciding championship tie breaker went all the way but we eventually won 11-9. Well done.
* Congratulations to the U14 girls hockey team who won the city festival at Excel Academy. The girls played 3 games winning all of them and conceding no goals in the process.
* Huge thanks to former England rugby international Phil Greening for coming into school to run a rugby session and a fitness and conditioning session for our elite performers yesterday. The sessions were both innovative and enjoyable and hugely valuable for all involved. Watch this space for a full report of the day.
* The senior girls netball team can once again claim the bragging rights as they defeated the 6th form boys side in a close fought game 27-23! It had looked like the boys may hang on for the win at one point but the girls edged in front in the final quarter and managed to cling on for the win. Great fun and well done all involved! Staff team next!!!!!
* The U16 girls netball side is once again the City champions after an excellent evening at Fenton Manner. The girls played 7 matches in total winning all of their games and only conceding 4 goals in the process. A really impressive performance. Well done.
* Congratulations to the SJC girls and boys cross country runners who competed in the x-country at Haywood Academy and Trentham respectively. The boys and girls both competed brilliantly and have put us in a really good position in the three race series.
* Well done to Drew Lowe in year 7 who has been selected for the Stoke City Football Club day release scheme. We wish Drew all the best with this venture.
* Congratulations Lorenzo Caci in year 10 for winning the St Joseph’s College Fantasy Football League!
* Well done to the year 7 and 8 girls rounders team who are now city champions having won all their group games and a semi-final before beating Blythe in the final.
* Congratulations to Nicholas Greenhalgh in year 10 who has successfully completed his ‘5th Gold Tab’ in Ju-Jitsu. Well done.
* On another beautiful afternoon at Northwood Stadium a group of year 9 and 10 boys and girls competed in the city ‘Super 8’ athletics competition. There were some fantastic performances on the day which concluded with an amazing performance in the medley relay where 4 boys and 4 girls competed together in the same race against seven other schools. With 400m to go in the race James Fradley picked up the baton a good 50 metres behind the runner in first place and ran a superb leg to bring the baton home comfortably in 1st. It was a great way to finish a great afternoon. Unfortunately it was only enough to finish third overall but congratulations to an excellent Trentham side who just pipped Blythe Bridge to run out worthy winners.
* There is no sign of things slowing down at the Fortiter as the success continues for the sports stars of SJC. This time it was the turn of the girls year 7 netball and the girls year 8 rounders sides. Both teams travelled to the level 3 ‘School Games’ competition having qualified from the level 2 competition earlier in the year. All the girls acquitted themselves excellently and we managed to come out with gold and silver medals in the netball and rounders respectively. This essentially is a county level competition so well done girls.
* What a fantastic afternoon for SJC at Northwood Stadium. Boys and girls from year 7 and 8 competed on what was a lovely day in the city championships and large number of St Joseph’s pupils managed to come out on top in their individual events. Even more numbers have been asked to represent the city as a reward for finishing in the top 3 of their events. As a team SJC managed to come out on top in the year 7 boys and girls competitions and the year 8 boys competition. The year 8 girls narrowly missed out on the prize to an excellent Excel Academy side. Well done to everyone involved and for representing the school with such pride and distinction.
* Super Summer for SJC. SJC have won trophies in tennis, athletics and rounders already this summer. Hopefully we will be able to add some more silverware before the end of term.
* Boys tennis is looking good at SJC as eight year seven and eight students travelled to Florence to compete against the rest of the city. Congratulations to both teams who managed to come out on top. SJC has now won the boys city tennis competitions at all ages.
* Congratulations to Hattie Barnes in year 12 who has been selected to attend the Junior Regional Performance Centre (U18 Girls) -Birmingham Lynx after representing Staffordshire hockey (U17 Girls) in March. Not only is Hattie a talented hockey player but she has also been asked to represent the Staffordshire County Cricket U17 girls side. Well done Hattie.
* Year 7 and 8 girls narrowly miss out on getting to the final of the city cricket tournament as they lost to a slightly better Blythe Bridge side in a very close run game.
* Following in the footsteps of the year 8’s the year 7 athletics team performed brilliantly at the city ‘Super 8’s’ and were crowned as champions.
* Huge congratulations to the year 10 rugby captain Dan Longley whom has been selected to represent the Staffordshire U16 squad. Dan made the side having undergone an intense training and selection process. Brilliant.
* Year 8 are the ‘Super 8’ city athletics champions!
* Well done to all St Josephs pupils that have been selected to represent the City at the County athletics meet on Saturday the 14th of June. Good Luck.
* Congratulations to Mr Brierley for being selected for Staffordshire CCC to face Lincolnshire at Sleaford in a county three day game. We wish him luck.
* Eight year nine & ten students travelled to Florence tennis on the 22nd of May to compete in the City Tournament. Congratulations to both teams who managed to come out on top.
29/09 – Rugby fixtures on Sat versus Falibroome are now year 7 and 8 at home and year 9 and 10 away. Thanks
11/12 – ALL RUGBY OFF AGAINST LADY MANNERS TOMORROW. Thanks
01/10 – Can you please be aware that if you are representing the school on a Saturday morning fixture then you are required to arrive and leave in full school uniform unless prior arrangements with the PE staff have been made. Thanks
01/10 – Please be aware the after school tennis sessions have not yet begun. We will update when they do. Thanks
18/05 – Please note that all cricket fixtures and after school practices are cancelled tonight due to the weather. City athletics is on tomorrow as normal for the U15’s and U17’s boys and girls sides. We will be leaving at the start of lunchtime and there will be a mini-bus returning to school at 6.30pm. Collection form Northwood Stadium will be permitted. Thanks.
03/02 – Please note that we have got year 7 and 8 A and B team games versus Adams Grammar on Saturday. Please make sure you are available if selected. Thanks.
03/02 – Rugby tonight for U14’s is off. Thanks.
02/02 – Both the U12 girls football tournament and the U14 girls hockey festival have been cancelled tomorrow (Tuesday 3rd) night.
20/11 – All rugby fixtures at the weekend versus the Friary are off due to unforeseen circumstances.
10/11 – All girls hockey practices cancelled tomorrow (Tue) due to city festival.
07/11 – All rugby versus Stafford tomorrow (Sat 8th) is off due to waterlogged pitches. All county netball tournaments are continuing as normal. Thanks.
06/11 – Please can all GCSE PE students attending the Outdoor Education trip to High Adventure please pay the remaining balance by Wednesday 12th November.
10/10 – Rugby v Newcastle on Saturday 11th. All home teams at the fields for 9.15 and all away sides to meet at Newcastle at 9.15 also.
01/10 – Please make sure you sign up for the Tug of War competition…coming soon. We need competitors from all 3 key stages.
26/09 – Year 7, 8, 9 and 10 rugby versus Fallibroome on Sat 4th is now all at home. 9.15 meet time at the fields. Full uniform before and after please.
26/09 – Year 8, 9 and 11 rugby v Weaverham on Saturday morning is now away. Coach departs at 8.30am. Do not be late. Full uniform please.
FANTASY FOOTBALL COMING SOON – SEE MR LINLEY FOR DETAILS
15/09 – Year 7 rugby. Can all pupils that were in Mr Saul’s games group on Friday and any pupil that has played contact rugby please come to a meeting on Wednesday break.
10/09 – GCSE PE. Can all students wanting to attend the PE trip please get their deposits into finance by the 12th of September.
18/07 – SCHOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER! Have a wonderful summer, be careful, look after your loved ones and we’ll see you in September. The PE Department.
04/07 – All practices and clubs are cancelled during ‘Trips Week’ unless otherwise stated by a member of staff. Thanks.
27/06 – Year 10 boys cricket cancelled due to weather.
23/06 – Year 8 and 10 boys cricket versus Trentham on Tuesday and Thursday respectively is cancelled. Apologies.
21/06 – Year 9 and 10 athletes don’t forget your kit for Mondays ‘Super 8’s’ competition
19/06 – Tennis practice tomorrow morning and tomorrow after school (Fri 20th) is off. Apologies.
17/06 – School Games tennis tournament all week at lunchtimes. Support your house!
12/06 – Tennis practice after school tomorrow is cancelled.
09/06 – Year 9 and 10 girls tennis at Florence has been cancelled due to the weather.
05/06 – Today is the year 8 boys and girls ‘Super 8’ athletics competition at Northwood Stadium. 4.00pm return. Good Luck to all taking part.
04/06 – Can all year 11 GCSE PE students please return their text books to the office as soon as possible. Thanks.
23/05 – Tennis practice for all team tennis players is on, despite the weather.
House Cross Country Results awaiting…
Netball: County and Regional – Millie Allbutt, Annie Ratcliffe, Danni Maddox, Jess Southern, Lindi Sabbanda, Seren Redmond, Holly Maddox.
Hockey: Individual County Honours: Gabbi Harvey, Jasmine Nitta, Zak Devaney, Brad Thorley
Rugby: County and DPP: Matt Teasedale, Jacob Brown, Dan Thomas, Joe Frost, Andy Shaw, Shariq Hussain, Euan Haley, Morgan Leese, Josh Degg, Jordan Hough, Callum Cooper, Seb Machin, Tom Gibson, Jay Haydock, Sullivan Nicely
Lewis Bloor – County Rugby
Tom Godwin – County Rugby
Dan Longley – Staffordshire RUFC and Leicester Tigers DPP
Chris Calalang – Leicester Tigers DPP
Dan Thomas – Leicester Tigers DPP
Emily Allen – Great Britain Climbing
Seb Smith – County Cricket
Drew Lowe – Stoke City Football
Joel Harris – Shrewsbury Town
Megan Birnbacher – County Netball
Grace Slattery – County Netball
Lucy Freckleton – County Netball
Leah Nolan – County Netball
Lindiwe Sabanda – County Netball
Danni Maddox – County Netball
Annie Ratcliffe – County Netball
Millie Allbut – County Netball
Beth Grice – County Cricket
Thomas Gauvin – County Badminton
James Fradley – Athletics / Cross Country
Ilenia Sims – County Cricket
Honours List 2015/16
City Festival Champions
Level 3 School Games Winners
City Festival Champions
City Festival Runners Up
City Festival Champions
3rd place County
Lord Mayors Games Champions
Year 10 and 11
City Festival Champions
3rd place County
County Runners Up and Regional Qualifiers
P18 Won 16 Lost 2 – League Games
County Runners up
City 7’s Winners
County 7’s Cup Runners Up
County 7’s Plate Winners
County Cup Winners
City 7’s Winners
County Cup Runners Up.
Year 8 and 9 City Winners
Year 7 City Runners Up
Year 7 Boys – City Winners and County Winners
Year 7 Girls – City Winners and County Winners
Year 8 Boys – South Area Winners
Year 8 Girls – City Winners and County Winners
Year 9 boys – City Winners and County Runners up
Boys and Girls Lord Mayors Games Winners
Individual: Performance squad – Lewis Harding, Tom Gauvin.
Year 7 Boys – Lord Mayors Games Winners
Year 8 Girls – South Schools Winners, City Winners, Qualified for Regionals
Individual: Beth Grice, Will Lloyd, Drew Lowe, Josie Alderman, Joel Harris
Cross Country – Boys
Juniors – City Winners,
Inters – City Winners,
Seniors – City Winners,
Individual Winners: Drew Lowe, Zach Mawdsley
Zach Mawdsley (Qualified all England),
Cross Country – Girls
Juniors – City Winners,
Inters – City Winners,
Seniors – City Winners,
Individual Winners: Yasmin and Maddie Emery Hyson
Indoor Girls Cricket
Year 8 County Runners Up
Individual: Ilenia Sims County
Year 10 Boys U15 County Plate Winners
Individual: Seb Smith County
Year 7 Boys South Area Winners
Year 7 Girls South Area Winners
Year 9 Girls South Area Winners
Year 9 Boys City Runners Up
Year 11 Boys South Area Winners and City Runners Up
Year 11 Girls South Area Winners and City Runners Up
Under 17 Boys City Championship Winners
Under 15 Boys City Championship Winners
Under 17 Girls City Championship Winners
Under 15 Girls City Championship Winners
Under 14 Boys City Championship Winners
Under 13 Boys City Championship Winners
Under 14 Girls City Championship Winners
Year 7 ‘Super 8’ Winners
Year 8 ‘Super 8’ Winners
U15 City Winners
U14 City Winners
U15 City Winners
Girls Year 8 and 9 Level 3 School Games Runners Up
Boys Year 10 Level 3 School Games Bronze Medal Winners
Sports Summary 2014/15
1st XV County Runners Up
U14’s County Runners Up
U14’s Abbotsholme 7’s Champions.
U16’s Abbotsholme 7’s Runners Up.
U14’s City 7’s Champions.
U16’s City 7’s Champions.
U15’s County 7’s. ‘C’ side Bowl Runners up
U15’s County 7’s. ‘B’ side Plate Runners up
U16’s boys. City Runners Up
U14’s girls. City Runners Up
U14’s City Champions
U12’s City Champions (Joint)
U16’s City League Champions
U16’s City Festival Champions
U16’s City Cup Champions
U14’s regional qualifiers
U14’s City League Champions
U14’s City Festival Champions
U14’s City Cup Champions
U13’s City Cup Champions
U13’s City League Champions
U13’s City Festival Champions
U12’s City Cup Champions
U12’s ‘A’ City Festival Champions
U12’s ‘B’ City Festival Runners Up
U12’s ‘A’ City League Champions
U12’s ‘B’ City League Runners Up
U12’s A and B sides School Games level 3 qualifiers
U12’s A Level 3 School Games Winners
U16’s City Champions
U14’s City Champions
Year 7 Boys and Year 7 Girls City Champions.
Year 8 Boys and Year 8 Girls City Champions.
Year 7 Girls County runners up.
Year 8 Girls County Champions.
U15 South area festival winners.
U13 City Festival runners up.
U14’s South Area Champions
U15’s City Champions
U13’s ‘Lady Taverners’ Runners up.
U13’s North County Champions
U13’s City Champions
U13’s County Champions and Regional Representatives
U14’s Boys South Area Winners
U16’s Boys South Area Runners Up
U14’s girls South Area Runners up
U16’s girls South Area Winners
U17 Boys – City Champions.
U17 Girls – City Champions.
U15 Boys – City Champions.
U15 Girls – City Champions.
U14 Boys – City Champions.
U13 Boys – City Champions.
U13 Girls – City Champions.
U14 and 15 City ‘Super 8’ Champions.
U13 City ‘Super 8’ Champions.
U12 City ‘Super 8’ Champions.
Year 7 City Champions.
Year 8 City Champions.
Year 9 City Champions.
Year 10 City Runners Up.
Year 10 City Champions
Year 8 County Champions
Year 8 City Champions
Year 9 City Runners Up
Year 10 City Runners Up
Year 8 and 9 County Finalists (Awaiting fixtures)
Year 7 and 8 City Champions
Year 7 and 8 Level 3 School Games Runners Up
Sports Summary 2013/2014
1st XV County Cup Winners
U16’s City 7’s Winners
U15’s County Quarter Finalists
U14’s County Cup Winners
U13’s County Semi Finalists
U12’s Third in the County festival from 32 teams.
1st team County Cup Winners
U16’s City Champions and ESBL Regional Runners up.
U15’s Third place in the City
U14’s City runners up
U13’s County Champions
U16’s Boys won the city championships
U16s girls city champions and they went on to represent Stoke on Trent at the County event and Won.
U14’s Boys won the city championships
U14’s Girls won the city championships
U12’s Boys won the city championships
U12’s Girls won the City Championships
U16’s Boys City Champions
U14s Girls City Champions
U18’s County runners up and Regional Qualifiers.
U16’s South Area League Winners, City Champions, County runners up and Regional Qualifiers.
U15’s South Area League Winners.
U14’s South Area League Winners and City Champions and County Champions. Regional Qualifiers
U13’s South Area League Winners and City Champions.
U12’s South Area League Winners and City Champions and Level 3 School Games Winners.
U16’s Boys City Champions.
U16’s Girls City runners up
U14’s Boys City Runners up South Area Champions.
U14’s Girls City Champions.
U12’s Girls and Boys City Champions.
Indoor Arthletics U12’s Boys City Champions and County Runners up
Indoor Arthletics U12’s Girls City Champions and County Winners
Indoor Athletics U13’s Girls City Champions
U17’s Boys City Champions
U17’s Girls City Champions
U15’s Boys – City Runners up
U15’s Girls – City Runners up.
U14’s Boys – City Champions and Super 8 Winners
U14’s Girls – City Runners up and Super 8 Winners
U13’s Boys – City Champions and Super 8 Winners
U13’s Girls – City Champions and Super 8 Winners.
19 Students from year 7 and 8 were selected to represent Stoke on Trent at the Countys
4 of these went on to represent Staffordshire at the Inter Counties.
Loxi Abbot who went on to win the high jump.
Eve Greenway who won both the long jump and the hurdles.
Leah Nolan came second in the high jump.
Danu Amarasena Came 4th in the 800m.
19 Students from year 9, 10 and 11 were selected to represent Stoke on Trent at the Countys
James Fradley went on to represent Staffordshire and won 1500m.
U15’s Boys City Champions
U14s Boys City Champions
U13s Boys City Champions
U12s Boys City Champions
Indoor Lady Taverners U15’s Girls City Champions
Indoor Lady Taverners U13’s Girls third place
U12’s and 13’s Girls City Champions
U13’s Level 3 School Games Runners Up.
U14’s Girls Third place at the city championships
U15’s Girls City Champions
2017-18 Rugby fixtures can be downloaded here