Governors"The governing body is ambitious for the school and proud of its track record."
The purpose of the Governing Body
The governing body is the College’s accountable body. It is responsible for the conduct of the College, for promoting high standards and for the fostering and preservation of its Catholic ethos. The governing body aims to ensure that children attend an effective school which provides them with a good education and supports their well being.
Please follow the link to access the latest Governance Handbook which contains departmental advice outlining governors’ roles and duties.
The Governing Body
Chair of Governors
The Governing Body:
- Ensures clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holds executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Oversees the financial performance of the organisation and makes sure its money is well spent
Effective governance is based on six key features:
Strategic Leadership that sets and champions vision, ethos and strategy.
Accountability that drives up educational standards and financial performance.
People with the right skills, experience, qualities and capacity.
Structures that reinforce clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
Compliance with statutory and contractual requirements.
Evaluation to monitor and improve the quality and impact of governance.
For the Governing body to carry out its role effectively, governors must be:
• Prepared and equipped to take their responsibilities seriously;
• Acknowledged as the accountable body by the lead professionals and Trustees
• Supported by appropriate authorities in that task
In law the governing body is a corporate body, which means that no governor can act independently without proper authority from the full governing body. All governors carry equal responsibility for decisions made, and although appointed through different routes, the overriding concern of all governors has to be the welfare of the school as a whole.
In line with the St Joseph’s College Conflicts of Interest Policy a register is
kept of any business interests of the Governing Body which can be located under the Governor information tab.
Please visit the Download Zone for all other key documents.